Annual Meeting & Director Election
2023 Annual Meeting & Director Election
Every year, United Power hosts its Annual Meeting of Members to conduct the business of the cooperative, provide an annual update, and certify the results of the annual Director Election. Members are invited to attend for dinner, entertainment, presentations, and prizes. The meeting will also be livestreamed.
United Power’s members elect directors to the Board by secret ballot and the results are announced at the Annual Meeting of Members held each spring. United Power’s Board is comprised of eleven member-elected directors serving four geographic districts. Directors serve from geographic districts to ensure adequate accessibility for members, and to provide a representative cross-section of United Power’s member base in the cooperative’s governing body. Directors serve three-year, staggered terms.
A member’s district may be found on their monthly United Power billing statement.
View the director district map.
Unlike governmental elections, not all registered voters in the household can vote in co-op elections. Co-op members receive one vote for each membership with United Power, and only the person whose name is on the United Power account is eligible to complete the ballot. Members who are unclear of their membership or account status may call United Power’s Member Services Department at 303-637-1300 for verification.
Running for the Board
Eligible members interested in running for a seat on the Board of Directors must submit nominations by written petition by the petition deadline published each year. Nominations by written petition must state the name and district of the nominee, and must be signed by 15 or more United Power members. Petitions are available by contacting United Power’s Executive Department at 303-659-0551. We ask any member interested in nomination to complete a Board Candidate Packet, available through the Executive Department.
Qualifications to be eligible to become or remain a director are fully described in Section 4.03 of United Power’s bylaws.
The bylaws also provide in-depth information on director districts, terms, elections, meetings, and officers.
The following persons have been nominated by petition to run for Director of United Power, Inc., in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of Members scheduled April 12, 2023. Districts Mountain, South, West, and East are up for three-year terms.
2023 Director Candidates
District M (Mountain)
Tamra "Tami" Waltemath
District S (South)
Katherine "Kathy" Mills
District W (West)
Virginia "Ginny" A. Buczek
Thomas "Tom" Hogan
District E (East)
Steven "Steve" Douglas
Robert "Rob" Masden
United Power will host the following Meet the Candidate Forums where members can hear from each of the candidates vying to serve on the Board of Directors. The events are free to members. Light refreshments will be served. RSVPs are not required.
MONDAY, MARCH 13, 2023 | 6:30 P.M.
Riverdale Regional Park & Fairgrounds
Rendezvous Room (In the Waymire Dome)
9755 Henderson Road, Brighton, CO 80601
TUESDAY, MARCH 14, 2023 | 7:30 A.M.
Coal Creek Canyon Community Center
31528 Highway 72, Golden, CO 80403
THURSDAY, MARCH 16, 2023 | 6:30 P.M.
United Power Carbon Valley Service Center
9586 E I-25 Frontage Road, Longmont, CO 80504
FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2023 | 7:30 A.M.
Fort Lupton Recreation Center, Multi-Purpose Room 3
203 S. Harrison Ave., Fort Lupton, CO 80621
Balloting in the 2023 Director Election will be conducted by both electronic and paper balloting.
FEB. 10, 2023
Director nominations by petition deadline at 4 p.m.
MARCH 13, 2023
Electronic balloting opens and paper ballots are mailed to members.
APRIL 11, 2023
Mail-in ballots must arrive at the P.O. Box by 11:59 a.m.
Electronic balloting closes at 11:59 a.m.
APRIL 12, 2023
Ballot drop boxes in our offices close at noon.
Ballot drop box is open at the Annual Meeting location from noon to 4 p.m.
In-person voting is open from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Vote in Each Director District
It is important to note that United Power directors are elected on an ‘at-large’ basis, meaning that members should cast a vote for one director in each district, regardless of where the member lives. This election policy is in place because directors represent all members as well as the overall welfare of the cooperative. Directors serve from geographic districts to ensure adequate accessibility for members and a representative cross-section of the membership in the cooperative’s governing body.
Voting Electronically [How to Vote Electronically]
- Log in to your United Power online account via the website or the mobile app.
- Don’t have an online account? Register here.
- Don’t have an online account? Register here.
- Click “Vote Now” on the online account home screen.
- Click “Go to Ballot” after reviewing the voting instructions.
- Select one candidate in each district and click “Go to Ballot Confirmation.”
- Review your completed ballot and click “Change Votes” to edit, or click “Submit Ballot” to complete your vote.
- Your ballot is now complete. Enter your email on the final confirmation screen to have a confirmation emailed to you.
Voting by Mail Ballot
- Vote your ballot ensuring you have selected one candidate in each district.
- Place your ballot in the secret ballot envelope (optional).
- Place your ballot in the business reply envelope.
- Sign the back of the business reply envelope (State law requires the member’s signature for the ballot to be valid. Please follow signature instructions carefully).
- Mail your ballot postpaid before the deadline listed in your ballot packet.
Signing Your Mail Ballot
When signing your ballot envelope, please follow these instructions carefully:
- If the membership is owned by a human being, that person should sign his or her name on the top line as it appears on the label.
- If the membership is owned jointly/by two or more persons, only one of the joint owners needs to sign.
- If the membership is owned by a corporation, partnership, or other legal entity, the person signing must place his or her signature on the first line and indicate his or her title or lawful representative capacity on the second line. For example:
- A person signing for a partnership should sign “John Doe” on the top line and “Partner” on the second line.
- A person signing for a corporation should sign “John Doe” on the top line and “President” (or other office) on the second line;
- A person signing for a trade name should sign “John Doe” on the top line, and “owner” on the second line;
- If the membership is owned by a member who is deceased or the member needs assistance, the person signing must place his or her signature on the signature line and indicate his or her title or lawful representative capacity on the title line. For example:
- If the member is deceased, the personal representative of the estate should sign his or her name on the signature line, and state “Jane Doe, Personal Representative of the estate of John Doe,” on the title line;
- If a person is unable to write a signature, his or her mark will be accepted if a witness is present and signs “John Doe is unable to sign, but made his or her mark as his or her intended signature in my presence. Jane Doe, witness.”
Survey and Ballot Systems, a reputable election organization and verification service, will be tabulating all ballots. Ballots are mailed directly to Survey and Ballot Systems’ post office box. To be valid, mail ballots must be received at the post office box by the deadline listed in the ballot packet. Proxy voting is not permitted by state law.
Every registered member in attendance at the Annual Meeting will be entered into the door prize drawing that will include electric lawn tools, household appliances, smart technology, and a grand prize $500 Home Depot gift card. Names will be drawn at the end of the meeting. Members must be present to win.
• DeWalt Cordless Drill & Impact Driver with Batteries & Charger
• Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
• KitchenAid Stand Mixer
• Amazon Fire TV 43“ Omni Series 4K UHD with Alexa
• Ninja Foodi 8-quart DualZone Air Fryer
• EGO Power Cordless Trimmer with Battery & Charger
• EGO Power Blower with Battery & Charger
• Honeywell T6 Pro Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
• Hamilton Beach Roaster Oven
• Beats Fit Pro Earbuds
• Samsonite Amplitude Hardside Luggage Set
• Ring Video Door Bell & Indoor Security Camera
• Amazon Echo Show 15 HD Smart Display
• The Home Depot Gift Card
One door prize entry per membership. Members are automatically entered into the door prize drawing upon registration.